Click here to view a list of current vacancies.
Position Type: Faculty position with benefits package
Opens: 03/14/13 Closes: Open Until Filled
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications
University of Baltimore – The School of Communications Design invites applications for a full-time, open rank, tenure-track professor of communication, specializing in oral communication. Courses will include introductory and intermediate level speech classes as well as courses in his/her area of interest. Position begins August 2013 (contingent on final budgetary approval). Review of applications will begin April 15 and continue until the position is filled.
Candidates for this position must have, or be working on, a terminal degree in Speech Communication, Communication Studies, Rhetoric, or a related field. Experience in teaching public speaking preferred. Demonstrated oral English proficiency for classroom instruction required.
The School of Communications Design at the University of Baltimore is a vibrant core to the university’s applied liberal arts program, as well as the home to several innovative majors, including a brand-new major in Digital Communication. This major has three tracks: Digital Theory & Culture, Media Design & Production, and Public Relations. Our other divisional undergraduate programs are Integrated Arts and English. We are looking for candidates who have experience teaching oral communication courses and whose area of specialty contributes to one of these programs. Any of these courses could be in our newly designed general education curriculum or in our vibrant learning communities.
We invite you to visit our web site for more information about the College of Arts and Sciences and the
School of Communications Design at http://www.ubalt.edu/cas/about-the-college/schools-anddivisions/school-of-communications-design/index.cfm.
• Teaching several sections of introductory and intermediate level oral communication courses per semester. The introductory course is a hybrid course covering interpersonal, small group, and public communication with a focus on public speaking. The intermediate level course focuses on various forms of oral communication in business settings.
• Teaching at least one additional course per semester in areas of interest and departmental need. These could include courses in communication, public relations, media theory, English, and/or arts and arts management.
• Conduct and publish research or creative work product in areas of specialty.
• Work collegially on committees with division faculty representing the broad scope of communication and within a university representing a wide spectrum of interests, including public affairs, health care administration, business, science, and law.
• Promote the needs and interests of a solid liberal arts program, and the role of oral communication within it.
• Assume other duties normally expected of full-time faculty members at a comprehensive university.
Required: Candidates with experience in speech communication/rhetorical studies or related discipline. ABD considered with demonstrated progress on dissertation. Candidates must have higher education teaching experience, and the potential to work collaboratively as active members of a faculty that maintains a research/creative agenda, contributes to program and curriculum development, and participates in university service and other areas of faculty responsibility.
Preferred: Candidates with a terminal degree (Ph.D. or M.F.A) in speech communication/rhetorical studies, communication studies, public relations, media studies, or related discipline. A promising agenda for professional and/or scholarly activities appropriate to the rank of assistant professor; demonstrated excellence in teaching; and 3-5 years of higher education involvement.
We invite qualified applicants to submit a letter of interest, CV, and names and contact information of three references. Email submission is required. Please submit all materials directly to Division Academic Program Specialist, Marian Savige (firstname.lastname@example.org) and reference the vacancy number provided in the heading of this announcement in all documents. Candidates will be contacted for interviews. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. UB is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution. http://www.ubalt.edu/hr