Click here to view a list of current vacancies.
Position Type: Regular, full-time exempt position with full, competitive benefits package
Opens: 02/14/14 Closes: 03/03/14
Salary: $40,000 - $45,000
As part of the larger marketing and communications team within the Office of University Relations, the graphic designer focuses on producing mainly print publications, but also electronic pieces, in support of the University’s recruitment and marketing efforts. Specifically, this position entails conceptualizing, designing and presenting graphic solutions that maintain consistency in visual branding. In partnership with another graphic designer, an art director and the executive director, this person is responsible for providing design support to clients—mainly units and colleges throughout the University—as needed. The graphic designer also must be self-sufficient and able to juggle and prioritize multiple projects of varying size and scope and with varying deadlines. Excellent communication and teamwork skills are crucial, as are creativity and strong attention to detail. This position reports to the art director within the Office of University Relations.
• Designing and producing University recruitment publications (such as brochures, posters, postcards, etc.) dedicated to undergraduate and graduate programs in arts and sciences, public affairs, business and law as well as a semi-annual University-wide magazine
• Delivering creative solutions for complex assignments
• Producing and preparing prepress files—including color correction—for printed publications
• Meeting with clients to assess design and publication needs
• Brainstorming, developing and presenting creative briefs
• Communicating effectively and regularly with not only clients but also other members of the University Relations team to ensure smooth production processes
• Managing production schedules, addressing client feedback, identifying additional needs and solutions as projects progress
• Understanding the impact of design decisions (stock, ink, format choices) on printing processes, cost and schedule
• Working with freelance/contractual vendors, including photographers, illustrators, videographers and designers
• Supporting the University's graphic identity system and related client needs
• Participating in evaluations and audits of design and content throughout the University website and consulting on solutions as needed
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in design or related field required
• 3 years of related experience required
• Proficiency with using Adobe Creative Suite applications to produce high-end publications
• Knowledge of the offset printing process and preparing files correctly for press
• Strong organizational and project management skills; ability to multitask, prioritize and juggle multiple projects and deadlines
• Ability to manage and execute a print and/or Web project from concept development to completion quickly and efficiently
• Team player with excellent follow-through and communication skills and ability to work with various personalities
• Excellent written and verbal skills
• Ability to add creative input on projects for which the whole team is responsible
• Ability to work under the creative direction of others and to take the lead on assigned projects
• A design portfolio that demonstrates mastery of skills in the following areas:
• conceptual development
• attention to detail
• multipage publications
• print design (illustrating a solid understanding of offset printing processes as well as stock and ink selection)
• Photography skills
• Experience in designing for higher education or related field
• HTML, CSS and Web content management system skills
• Videography skills as well as a working knowledge of Adobe Premiere and After Effects
Applicant Instructions: Using Candidate Gateway to View and Apply for UB Vacancies
The Candidate Gateway system serves as your connection to the University of Baltimore’s job application process. It is a free, safe and secure way for you to apply for the job you want, and it allows the Office of Human Resources to maintain accurate records. Your use of the system does not require you to surrender any of your rights to privacy or confidentiality during the application process. Only qualified members of UB’s Human Resources team and members of the relevant search committee can access your application information. The search committee will not have access to any information you provide to HR for affirmative action reporting purposes.
Please read the information below before you apply, and refer to it as you enter your application.
A - ATTACHMENT UPLOAD
Before you apply:
When you apply:
Click “Save” to save the data you entered on that page. The message “You have successfully submitted your job application.” confirms only that you entered that page of information into the system. You must click “Next” to continue and complete the application process.
1. In the system's Apply Now Choose Resume page, select Upload a New Resume, then upload the PDF with your cover letter and resume. Then, click “Continue."
2. On the Apply Now Complete Application page, enter your contact information, then click "Submit"
3. Online Questionnaire/Application Questionnaire: There are questions requiring a yes or no response and a "How did you find out about the job?" question. After you answer these questions, click “Submit."
4. Complete the Submit Online Application page, then click "I agree to these terms", then click Submit.
5. Click the "Careers Home" link.
6. Click the "My Career Tools" link near the top of the screen.
7. Click the Add Attachment link, select References, attach a PDF document with your print design samples. If this is your last attachment, then click "Save." If you'd like to attach another PDF with your print design samples, then click "Save and Add More."
8. If you're attaching a second PDF with print design samples, click the Add Attachment link, select References, and attach a PDF document with print design samples. If this is your last attachment, then click "Save." If you'd like to attach a third, final PDF with your print design samples, then click "Save and Add More."
9. If you're attaching a third, final final PDF with print design samples, click the Add Attachment link, select References, and attach a PDF document with a sampling of your publications and/or commercial work, then click “Save.”
If you need assistance applying for the Graphic Designer, please call Human Resources at 410.837.5498 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
External applicants: Review the vacancy announcement at http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html and click the external applicant link to apply.
Internal applicants (students taking classes at UB and current employees) with login and password for MyUB: use the internal applicant link, log into My UB, then click the “View or Apply for Job Positions” link on the left.
UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.
• Never use the Internet Explorer “Back” and “Forward” arrows to navigate. You will lose the information you have submitted.
• To navigate between pages, use the “Next,” “Previous,” and “Return to Previous Page” buttons.
• Use the “Save” button to save your information so you can return to it later and complete your application. Using “Save” does not complete the process to apply for a job opening.