Click here to view a list of current vacancies.
Position Type: Regular, full-time exempt position with full, competitive benefits package
Opens: 02/21/14 Re-opens: 03/24/14 Closes: Open Until Filled
Salary: $50,000 - $65,000
NOTE: Anticipated hire date is July 1, 2014. Applicants who applied for the original posting are being considered and don’t need to reapply.
This person will coordinate communications in the Yale Gordon College of Arts and Sciences and in the College of Public Affairs, developing, enhancing and maintaining print and electronic publications, the college websites, their social media accounts and other various promotional materials.
This person will be responsible for providing a comprehensive, coordinated approach to public relations, social media and website content and for working with the associate deans, deans and other college leadership to determine priorities and strategy for communication efforts within the colleges and campus wide on behalf of the colleges. This person will also work with key entities—both departments and specific positions—throughout the University to advance the goals of the colleges, including but not limited to recruitment/enrollment, academic affairs, student affairs, alumni relations and more.
Finally, this person will serve as a liaison to the University’s central communications and marketing office, participating in workgroups and teams intended to advance communications and marketing in support of the University and college brands. This person will be that office’s point person in the colleges and will work closely with staff in that office to produce materials, to coordinate college initiatives and to contribute to the continued enhancement and expansion of digital communications.
Required skills and qualifications include the following:
• bachelor’s degree in journalism, writing, English, communications or a related field
• at least 5 years of professional writing, editing and fact-checking experience
• web writing and Web and social media content-management experience
• experience in project managing, planning and implementing annual and one-time communication strategies and publications
• strong project management, time management and organizational skills
• the ability to work closely with and take direction from college leadership
• the ability to develop positive relationships with fellow administrative staff, faculty members, alumni and students for effective collaborative work
• the ability to work in complex environments that requiring multi-tasking and priority setting
Desired skills and qualifications:
• master’s degree in a communications-related field
• experience in a higher education setting
• thorough knowledge of Associated Press style
• portfolio of promotional materials
• knowledge of graphic design and print production
• evidence of web page design and social media
This position will be accountable for the following efforts:
• Enhancing and expanding college Web, social media and other electronic communication content, according to strategies developed in conjunction with college leadership, in addition to managing regular maintenance and updates
• Developing and upholding a college policy for update and continual maintenance of websites, social media and other electronic communications
• Ensuring achievement of common goals related to the website and cohesive and seamless interaction between the colleges’ Web presences and those of other units, etc., by working with other communications professionals throughout the University, especially those within the University’s central communications and marketing office
• Coordinating communications for the colleges in various University media (Web calendar, Daily Digest, etc.)
• Developing long-term and short-term strategies related to recruitment and other communications to help achieve University and college goals and determining needs for additional print/electronic materials, especially in conjunction with the team in the University’s central communications and marketing office to ensure efficiencies of scale and distribution
• Project managing/developing content for new print/electronic publications while upholding University editorial and graphics standards
• Collaborating with college leadership, faculty and the University’s central communications and marketing office to update content and maintain the currency of college-related content in viewbooks, search pieces, program brochures, checklists and other publications; maintaining and enforcing practices for the internal distribution of these materials
• Communicating changes in program requirements/curriculum efficiently and effectively across various media (website, catalog, advising sheets); working with college leadership to develop appropriate timelines to achieve this goal
• Assisting in the execution of internal and external events for the colleges, coordinating with appropriate staff and faculty University-wide to do so.
• Contributing to advertising strategies for the colleges
This position also represents the Yale Gordon College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Public Affairs as a member of the Web Work Group (and other committees/task forces) and participates on University committees or task forces as needed. The position reports directly to the Associate Dean in each college.
Applicant Instructions: Using Candidate Gateway to View and Apply for UB Vacancies
The Candidate Gateway system serves as your connection to the University of Baltimore’s job application process. It is a free, safe and secure way for you to apply for the job you want, and it allows the Office of Human Resources to maintain accurate records. Your use of the system does not require you to surrender any of your rights to privacy or confidentiality during the application process. Only qualified members of UB’s Human Resources team and members of the relevant search committee can access your application information. The search committee will not have access to any information you provide to HR for affirmative action reporting purposes.
Please read and print the information below before you apply, and refer to it as you enter your application.
A - COVER LETTER AND RESUME ATTACHMENT AND UPLOAD
Before you apply:
When you apply:
•In Candidate Gateway: Click “Browse” to access the Word or PDF document you saved with all of your documents.
•Then, click “Upload” to attach it.
•Click “Continue” to continue the application process.
B - ENTER DATA ON THESE FOUR PAGES:
Each page shows this display:
Previous Save Submit Close Application Careers Home NEXT
above and below the required data for the four categories shown above.
Click “Save” to save the data you entered on that page. The message “You have successfully submitted your job application.” confirms only that you entered that page of information into the system. You must click “Next” to continue and complete the entire application process.
1. Current and Prior Employment/Work Experience:
•Enter employment information relevant to your position of interest.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•After you enter your work experience, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
2. Education/Education History and References:
•Use the dropdown to enter your highest education level. Entering this information is required.
•Then, only college and university information is required. Click the plus sign to the left of the “Postsecondary Education” link to enter that information.
•For country, enter USA or click the hourglass to select another country.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•Click the plus sign to the left of "References" to enter two professional references.
•After you enter your education information and references, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
3. How did you find out about us/how did you find out about the job?
•After you enter this information, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
4. Online Questionnaire/Application Questionnaire: Answer the questions requiring a yes or no response. After you answer them, click “Submit.” This leads you to the Submit Online Application page.
C – SUBMIT ONLINE APPLICATION
To apply for your selected job: When you reach the “Submit Online Application” page shown below, you must click “I agree to these terms” and then click the “Submit” button at the end of the screen. After you click “Submit,” then you will see this information at the top of your screen:
Thank you for your interest in employment at the University of Baltimore. HR will process your application documents for the search committee’s consideration.
Note: This screen will also show additional information about the selection process and Office of Human Resources contact information.
External applicants: Review the vacancy announcement at http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html and click the external applicant link to apply.
Internal applicants (students taking classes at UB and current employees) with login and password for MyUB: use the internal applicant link, log into My UB, then click the “View or Apply for Job Positions” link on the left.
UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.