In 1925, nine Baltimore civic leaders wanted to provide their city with an evening business and law school.
Maynard A. Clemens, P. Lewis Kaye, William H. Wilhelm, R. Loran Langsdale, Victor R. Jones, Howell A. King, Alton R. Hodgkins, Stewart Lewis and Clarence W. Miles incorporated the University of Baltimore on Aug. 8, 1925. The school opened on Oct. 1, 1925 in a four-story rowhouse at 625 St. Paul St. on the northeast corner of Mt. Vernon Place. It started with 62 law students (three of whom were women) and 114 business administration students. Clemens agreed to serve as chancellor until Wilbur F. Smith retired as head of Baltimore City College and was named UB's first president.
From those small beginnings, the University of Baltimore has graduated more than 60,000 students and continues to serve Baltimore as an undergraduate, graduate and professional institution helping students achieve the vital goal established by its founders: an education.