Click here to view a list of current vacancies.
Position Type: Contingent I (contractual)
Opens: 09/24/13 Closes: Open Until Filled
Salary: $17.30 - $17.80/hour
Military and Veteran Admission Counselor is part of a team with responsibility for achievement of enrollment objectives at the University of Baltimore through recruitment, admission and enrollment activities. The Military and Veteran admission counselor will serve in the Enrollment Management Division under the leadership of the Associate VP Admission.
The University of Baltimore is committed to a mission of access and affordability and seeks to enroll students who can succeed academically in its graduate programs. The Military and Veteran Admission Counselor will play a significant role in recruitment efforts and will, along with other admission officers, be responsible for achievement of the University’s enrollment objectives for new students.
The purpose of this position is to meet aggressive enrollment growth goals by actively recruiting prospective students and new applicants who are serving or have served in the Unites States armed forces from inquiry through initial enrollment. The Military and Veteran Admission Counselor will advise prospective freshman, transfer and graduate students as they make decisions about furthering their education by providing information about the University, its programs, procedures, and campus life. In addition, he/she will provide timely and accurate follow-up to freshman, transfer and graduate inquiries and applicants based on a communication strategy. Finally, the Military and Veteran Admission Counselor will establish and maintain relationships with key partners within and outside of the University of Baltimore. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
1. Meet aggressive enrollment growth goals by actively recruiting military and veteran prospects and applicants through various outreach efforts: travel, phone, email, in-person, online.
• Meet targets for inquiries, applicants, and enrollment including specific weekly goals for telecounseling, visits, contacts, and applicants.
• Plan and attend recruitment events at military bases and National Guard posts, and other local and regional events.
• Research and suggest new recruiting opportunities.
2. Cultivate and advise military and veteran prospective students as they make decisions about furthering their education by providing information about the University, its programs, procedures, and campus life.
• Advise military and veteran prospects on aspects of UB including program choices, financial aid, assistantships, admission, registration, and campus life.
• Regularly communicate with inquiries and applicants regarding deadlines and procedures.
• Guide prospective students through the admission process via phone, email, online chats, open houses, workshops, and one-on-one appointments.
• Work up to two nights per week telecounseling and/or supervising part-time, evening call center staff. Represent the University at weekend events as required.
3. Provide timely and accurate follow-up to inquiries and applicants.
• Respond to all emails and phone calls same business day or within 24 hours.
• Maintain thorough and current knowledge of program requirements and policies.
4. Establish and maintain relationships with key partners within and outside of the University of Baltimore.
• Represent UB to the military and veteran community.
• Establish relationships with those outside the University who assist military and veterans in pursuing higher education
• Maintain relationships with various on-campus staff to facilitate enrollment
• Attend committee meetings as a representative of the Offices of Admission
5. Process applications from military and veteran students.
• Using electronic workflow (ImageNow) and PeopleSoft, routinely review, verify, and update application status.
• Assist with mail processing during peak times by scanning documents, linking documents from ImageNow to PeopleSoft records, and updating checklist status, education screens, and other data in PeopleSoft.
• Efficiently use PeopleSoft to check application status and provide assistance to applicants, admissions staff, and program directors and advisers.
6. Technology proficiency.
• Maximize use of the PeopleSoft system to regularly communicate with inquiries and applicants.
• Become an expert on electronic workflow so as to be able to assist program directors and advisers.
• Quickly move through PeopleSoft pages to review, verify, and update data to accurately reflect prospect record and application status.
• Properly record all efforts in PeopleSoft and maintain regular reporting of all activities.
• Use imaging system and PeopleSoft simultaneously to ensure no errors are made in application processing.
• Execute communication strategy using PeopleSoft functionality including adding events, comments, and communications to prospect and applicant records.
• Run PeopleSoft queries to report on prospects and applicants. .
• Send mass email using Microsoft Word mail merge functionality.
• Frequently use and manipulate Excel spreadsheets.
REQUIRED education, experience and skills:
• Bachelor’s degree
• At least one year professional experience in admission, sales, marketing, admission or any position requiring relationship building.
• Services in the United States armed forces, including honorable discharge
• Demonstrated ability to meet goals.
• Demonstrated proficiency with new technology.
• Proficient in Microsoft applications, especially Excel.
• Public speaker with the ability to move an audience to action.
• Attention to detail.
• Excellent written communication skills with the ability to adapt to the university style guide and the preferred AP format.
• Ability to make decisions, work independently, and be a team player.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Requires coverage up to two evenings per week, occasional weekends, as well as flexible scheduling during peak recruitment times.
PREFERRED education, experience and skills:
• Master’s degree preferred.
• PeopleSoft knowledge preferred.
• Ability to use database systems and new technology such as CRM, document imaging, and online chat.
Applicant Instructions: Using Candidate Gateway to View and Apply for UB Vacancies
The Candidate Gateway system serves as your connection to the University of Baltimore’s job application process. It is a free, safe and secure way for you to apply for the job you want, and it allows the Office of Human Resources to maintain accurate records. Your use of the system does not require you to surrender any of your rights to privacy or confidentiality during the application process. Only qualified members of UB’s Human Resources team and members of the relevant search committee can access your application information. The search committee will not have access to any information you provide to HR for affirmative action reporting purposes.
Please read and print the information below before you apply, and refer to it as you enter your application.
A - COVER LETTER AND RESUME ATTACHMENT AND UPLOAD
Before you apply:
When you apply:
•In Candidate Gateway: Click “Browse” to access the Word or PDF document you saved with all of your documents.
•Then, click “Upload” to attach it.
•Click “Continue” to continue the application process.
B - ENTER DATA ON THESE FOUR PAGES:
Each page shows this display:
Previous Save Submit Close Application Careers Home NEXT
above and below the required data for the four categories shown above.
Click “Save” to save the data you entered on that page. The message “You have successfully submitted your job application.” confirms only that you entered that page of information into the system. You must click “Next” to continue and complete the entire application process.
1. Current and Prior Employment/Work Experience:
•Enter employment information relevant to your position of interest.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•After you enter your work experience, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
2. Education/Education History and References:
•Use the dropdown to enter your highest education level.
•Then, only college and university information is required. Click the plus sign to the left of the “Postsecondary Education” link to enter that information.
•For country, enter USA or click the hourglass to select another country.
•You can use the first day of the month wherever dates are required.
•Click the plus sign to the left of "References" to enter two professional references.
•After you enter your education information and references, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
3. How did you find out about us/how did you find out about the job?
•After you enter this information, click “Save,” then click “Next.”
4. Online Questionnaire/Application Questionnaire: There are three questions requiring a yes or no response. After you answer these three questions, click “Submit.” This leads you to the Submit Online Application page.
C – SUBMIT ONLINE APPLICATION
To apply for your selected job: When you reach the “Submit Online Application” page shown below, you must click “I agree to these terms” and then click the “Submit” button at the end of the screen. After you click “Submit,” then you will see this information at the top of your screen:
Thank you for your interest in employment at the University of Baltimore. HR will process your application documents for the search committee’s consideration.
Note: This screen will also show additional information about the selection process and Office of Human Resources contact information.
If you have trouble viewing our job postings or using the Candidate Gateway online resume submission process, please call Human Resources at 410.837.5410 to ask for Candidate Gateway help or e-mail email@example.com.
External applicants: Review the vacancy announcement at http://www.ubalt.edu/candidate_gateway/erecruit.html and click the external applicant link to apply.
Internal applicants (students taking classes at UB and current employees) with login and password for MyUB: use the internal applicant link, log into My UB, then click the “View or Apply for Job Positions” link on the left.
UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.