Windows XP Settings for Secure Wireless
- Go to the Start menu and choose Connect To > Show All Connections.
- In the next window, right-click the Wireless Network Connection icon and choose Properties.
- Click the Wireless Networks tab.
- Under the Preferred networks section click the Add button.
- In the window that opens, set the following:
- Network name (SSID): ubalt-secure or eduroam
- Network Authentication: WPA2 (If WPA2 is not an option, please download and install this update from Microsoft.)
- Data encryption: AES.
- Make sure that Connect even if this network is not broadcasting.
- Click the Authentication tab and make the following changes:
- Set the EAP type to Protected EAP (PEAP).
- Uncheck Authenticate as computer when computer information is available
- Click the Properties button below the EAP type field. (If the certificate issue is not resolved, make sure the Validate server connection certificate checkbox is not checked in the window that opens.)
- Under the Select Authentication Method heading select Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2).
- Click the Configure button.
- In the next window, uncheck Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any).
- On the Connection tab make sure Connect when this network is in range is checked.
- Click OK or Close on all open windows.
- A message box will appear in the system tray. Wireless Network Connection, click Click here to select a certificate or other credentials for connection to the network ubalt-secure or eduroam.
- In the window that opens enter:
ubalt-secure login: netID /current password
eduroam login: netID@ubalt.edu /current password
Logon domain: leave it blank.
Remember to update your password in the settings when you change your netID password.