How does the UB Staff Senate fit into shared governance within the University System of Maryland?
Staff will be elected to represent the University of Baltimore in the Council of University System Staff, which addresses system-wide issues that pertain to staff.
How do I know if I am a member of the UB Staff Senate?If you are a regular exempt, nonexempt-nonunion or Contingent 2 staff employee at UB, you are automatically a member of the UB Staff Senate and are represented by the senate in all staff-related matters.
If you are unsure if you fall within one of these employment categories, contact the Office of Human Resources.
What does this mean to me?As a member of the Staff Senate, you are entitled under USM policy to participate in shared governance, as appropriate to skills and knowledge, regarding decisions that affect the overall welfare of UB and of the University System of Maryland. This entitlement also comes with the responsibility to provide informed, collaborative and respectful support to the collective members of the governance bodies and to the processes by which they are managed.
How do I get involved in the UB Staff Senate?
As stated in USM Policy I-6.00, II. C., you are responsible for "... informed participation and collaboration ..."
You also may:
• be nominated or nominate yourself as a candidate for senator
• nominate staff colleagues as candidates for senator
• provide your expertise and input regarding items of interest to shared governance, or voice your concerns to your senator or at any open meeting
• encourage your colleagues to get involved
• spread the word among your colleagues about shared governance and about the UB Staff Senate
• ask your senator how you can participate.