Take time away from your textbooks for great literature.
Supplement your major by developing strong reading and analytical skills while also engaging with a variety of interesting and challenging literary works.
Requirements and Guidelines
- This minor requires you to have completed at least 24 credits with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0.
- You may use a maximum of 6 credits to satisfy both major (degree) and minor requirements.
- You must earn at least a C (2.0) in each course you apply to the minor.
Minor Requirement (3 credits)
- Literary Theory & Interpretation (ENGL 397)
Period & Context Courses (6 credits)
Choose two of the following:
- Wells of the Past: Classical Foundations (ENGL 311)
- American Literature to 1900 (ENGL 341)
- Melville, Poe & Whitman: American Voyagers (ENGL 342)
- American Literature Since 1900 (ENGL 344)
- The American Dream (ENGL 346)
- Major Authors (ENGL 360)
- The Hero & the Quest (ENGL 361)
- Dante, Chaucer & Cervantes: Three Versions of Pilgrimage (ENGL 362)
- Milton, Blake & Yeats: Poet as Prophet (ENGL 366)
- Austen, the Brontes & Woolf: Rooms of Their Own (ENGL 374)
- Literature in Society (ENGL 400)
- The Elizabethan Renaissance: In the Green World (ENGL 421)
- The Metaphysical Moment: From T.S. Eliot to John Donne (ENGL 431)
- The Age of Reason (ENGL 432)
- The Romantic Imagination (ENGL 441)
- The Victorian Paradox (ENGL 442)
- The Great Moderns (ENGL 450)
Electives (6 credits)
- two 300- or 400-level ENGL courses
Faculty Contact: Professor Cheryl Wilson, 410.837.5203