The Ampersand Award honors the graduate student whose work best exemplifies the spirit of the M.A. in Publications Design program: exceptional achievement in both writing & design.
Since 1993, the award has involved a $500 prize granted by the Bobbye Gold Memorial Fund, established in memory of the wife of Ed Gold, professor.
Award winners include:
Audra Harvey, Tess Hoffman
Peter D. Hillsee
Ingrid Mary Ankerson
Mila Javanovic, Fran Wilde
Melissa Anne Allen
Marguerite Holmes, Dina Wasmer
Denise Knobloch, Sheila Sherer
Nancy Olah, Cass Tyson
The Ampersand Institute
The Ampersand Institute for Words & Images, housed in the School of Communications Design, creates links between the study and practice of writing and graphic design.
Established in 1989, the institute works with regional groups, public agencies and professional associations to bring together professionals and students working in the communications design field.
- promotes research
- undertakes contractual and consulting projects
- offers seminars, lectures and workshops and brings prominent speakers to campus
- supports noncredit workshops in the school's Digital Design Studio
- curates the UB Student Center Gallery
- sponsors the Ampersand Award (see right).
Contact the institute:
Ed Gold, director, 410.837.6024
Jaye Crooks, academic program specialist, 410.837.6022