Helping pay for your degree.
- The Schaefer Center for Public Policy offers selective fellowships for full-time students to work on the center's applied research projects. In addition, there are opportunities for students to work as student assistants or as research assistants on various center projects. See the Admission Requirements page for information about application deadlines.
- To help you learn while doing and to offset the cost of your education, departmental assistantships are also available. Learn more.
Develop the substantive skills, knowledge and values necessary to become an executive-level leader in the government, public-sector or nonprofit arenas.
You can also complete this program in convenient weekend and online formats at the
Universities at Shady Grove in Rockville, Md.
This 48-credit doctoral program is geared toward working public administration professionals, senior-level public managers and prospective faculty.
As a student, you'll:
- develop a thorough knowledge of the legal, ethical and political environments of public administrators
- understand the administrative functions of governmental agencies and gain expertise in strategic planning, program evaluation, advanced management techniques, program implementation and results-based leadership
- write and publish a dissertation, a significant research paper that makes a theoretical and practical impact on the field
- specialize in one of four areas:
- program administration
- program evaluation
- health-care systems administration
- administration of justice.
are a great strength of the program. They regularly publish articles in leading major journals, serve on committees for national professional organizations and are nationally and internationally recognized theorists and practitioners. You could take classes from:
- a leading scholar in public administration ethics
- a former CFO of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- a recognized expert on diversity in organizations
- a former administrator of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- or National Academy of Public Administration Fellows.
Classes are offered weekends and online, and some courses are offered during the summer for continuing students.