D.S. in Information and Interaction Design Degree Requirements
- These requirements apply to students entering this program in fall 2014 and thereafter. Students who enrolled earlier should consult the catalog in effect at the time they enrolled.
- Read thecourse descriptions.
Prerequisites: You are expected to be prepared for advanced work in information or interface design, visual design, professional writing and research. If you have deficiencies in one or more of these areas, you may be required to take additional coursework beyond the 48 credits required for the degree.
You are also required to develop a high degree of competence in at least one technology involving digital information systems. As a prerequisite for this part of your studies, if you have not passed the Hypermedia Proficiency Examination (register online to take the exam), you are expected to complete PBDS 501: Introduction to Web Development with a grade of B or better; this course does not count toward your completion of the degree program.
This 48-credit program requires:
(24 required credits; 12 elective credits; 12 dissertation credits)
Core Courses (24 credits)
- IDIA 612 Interaction and Interface Design OR IDIA 712 Topics in Advanced Interaction Design
- IDIA 616 Designing for Mobile Web, IDIA 618 Dynamic Websites, IDIA 619 Interactive Multimedia OR *IDIA 602 Graphic Design Principles
- IDIA 640 Humans, Computers and Cognition
- IDIA 642 Research Methods for Interaction Design
- APPL 631 Intermediate Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
- *IDIA 715 Managing UX Projects
- IDIA 842 Methods for User Research
- IDIA 810 Proseminar
Elective Courses (12 credits)
select four courses from the following:
- IDIA 614 Sequential Visualization and Analysis
- IDIA 616 Designing for Mobile Web
- IDIA 618 Dynamic Web Sites
- IDIA 619 Interactive Multimedia
- IDIA 630 Information Architecture
- IDIA 712 Topics in Advanced Interaction Design
- IDIA 730 Topics in Advanced Information Architecture
- IDIA 742 Topics in User Research
- IDIA 750 Special Topics
- APPL 603 Learning and Cognition
Dissertation Work (12 credits)
*indicates a new course
as of spring 2016